The tickets are booked and your bags are packed and you are ready to go. But are you? Leaving your Orangeville home unattended for an extended period of time can be worrisome. Is your home safe while you are away?
By taking some simple precautions you can be on your way with a clear mind and be able to relax and enjoy your holiday while your Orangeville Home is secured.
- Inform your neighbours that you will be away and ask them to keep watch for suspicious activity around your Orangeville home.
- Leave a key to your front door and contact numbers where you can be reached with a trusted friend or neighbour. This way if there is an emergency someone you know and trust can enter if need be. Be sure to go over instructions for the alarm if your Orangeville home is equipped with a security system.
- If you are gone for more than a few days make arrangements with the same neighbour to collect any mail and newspapers that may be delivered. Newspapers piling up on the front porch or driveway are a sure sign that you are away. You may also want to ask them to cut the grass or shovel the snow, depending on the season.
- Set automatic timers for various lights both inside and outside your Orangeville home. Set them on the TV and radio as well. This will make it appear that someone is around.
- Adjust the thermostat. By leaving the heating a degree lower in the winter or the air conditioning on a degree higher in the summer, it will save energy by not running as often.
- If you will be gone for longer than a week, be sure to go through the refrigerator ahead of time and take out any items that may spoil. Do not forget to run the dishwasher through its cycle if it’s full of dirty dishes.
- Lock the garage door and unplug the automatic opener if you have one.
- Lock all gates and doors on your property.
- Place any valuables in a locked safe or safety deposit box.
- An empty driveway for an extended period of time is another indicator that your Orangeville house is unattended. If you can, leave a car in the driveway or ask a neighbour to park there occasionally.
- Do a final walk-through of your Orangeville home before you leave to ensure you have not missed anything.
All these tips are things that can allow you to fully relax and enjoy your time away and know that your home is safe and secure for when you return.